Potten EndChurch of England Primary School

Rooted in faith, we nurture, grow and flourish


Special Educational Needs and Disability Support at Potten End


At Potten End, we believe that every child should be able to learn in a safe and supportive environment that allows them to realise their potential.  We provide a wide range of support to ensure that this can happen. 

Occasionally, your child’s class teacher might feel that your child needs a little extra help with their learning.  Please don’t worry if this happens; there are lots of highly-skilled people in school and we will do all we can to make sure you and your child are happy here. We recognise that every child is a unique individual and it is our responsibility to ensure that every child is helped and encouraged to achieve to the best of their ability.

If you have any questions or queries about Special Educational Needs at any point during your child’s time at our school, please speak with your child’s class teacher. They will discuss any concerns with our SENDCo, the member of staff responsible for ensuring that your child is able to achieve to the best of their abilities

What will happen if my child has Special Educational Needs?


First of all, your child’s teacher will make any reasonable adjustments they need to in class. This might include some small group or individual learning. Lots of children need some extra help at times in school. The SEN register is our record of all our children receiving additional help.

We might also talk to some other professionals to get advice and support. We will always ask your permission.

Your child’s teacher will develop an individual learning plan for them and this will be discussed with you at an arranged meeting. 

Mrs Ridgway is the Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator and she will be available to meet with you at parents’ evening to talk about how we can work with you and your child.


Support for Parents


Below are some links that you might find useful when you’re looking for support for your child with SEND. Whilst they have a lot of useful information, please remember that they link to external organisations and we cannot be responsible for their content.

    Independent advice for Parents of children with SEND
  • Specific Learning Difficulties Advice Line
    The Hertfordshire Specific Learning Difficulties Outreach Service have opened a telephone advice line to answer queries from professionals and parents - please see article below.

  • Supporting children with communication and autism during the Coronavirus outbreak          To support children with communication and autism needs and their families during this unsettled period, the Specialist Advisory Teachers will be extending the hours of their telephone advice line from Monday 23rd March until the schools reopen.

    It will be open daily between 10am and 2pm (term time) to provide advice and guidance for parents and carers. If you wish to speak to a Specialist Advisory Teacher please call 01442 453920 during these times.

    Sharon Coubray, County Lead for Speech, Language, Communication and Autism | Integrated Services for Learning  | SEND Specialist Advice & Support Hertfordshire County Council  

  • Government information about EHCPs
    This page describes the statutory Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) process. For more information about how this works in Hertfordshire and in our school, please talk with the SENDCo.
  • I-can: a Speech, Language and Communication Needs organisation
    This site has a lot of information for Parents on supporting children’s language development. It will help you to know what is expected for your child’s age and what to do if you are concerned and want to help your child.
  • Families in Focus
    A local organisation supporting families of children with SEND, including a parent network
  • Young Minds
    A charity helping children and young people to have good mental health. It offers information and advice on many aspects of social, emotional and mental wellbeing.
  • The National Autistic Society
    Use the ‘about autism’ tab to find out more about what Autism is and how to help your child. The homepage also has contact details and a helpline for parents.
    Space is a Hertfordshire based charity supporting parent/carers of children and young people on the Autistic Spectrum, with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or a related condition.
  • Families First
    Families First is the term used in Hertfordshire for services that work together to support families who need extra help. These are also known as early help services.



If you are uncertain about anything, please ask to speak with the SENDCo.


Dacorum DSPL


Dacorum DSPL (DSPL Area 8) is one of 9 areas in Hertfordshire where parents, early years settings, primary and secondary schools, further education, local authority professionals and other agencies work together to review what is available and develop provision to fill in the gaps.


What is Delivering Special Provision Locally (DSPL)?

DSPL is a Hertfordshire-wide partnership approach where parents, staff in early years settings and schools, further education colleges, local authority officers and representatives from other agencies, work together as part of an Area Group, reviewing and developing the range of provision and support services available to their local community that :

  • Meets the needs of children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND), aged 0-25, as close to home as possible.
  • Improves outcomes for wellbeing and attainment
  • Widens choice for children and parents/carers
  • Removes barriers to learning
  • Uses resources more effectively


Specific Learning Difficulties Advice Line

Contactline poster COVID19

DSPL8 Autism leaflet