A brief history of the School

school1Potten End C of E Primary School stands in the centre of Potten End, an attractive village situated in the South West of Hertfordshire, between the towns of Berkhamsted and Hemel Hempstead.

The original Potten End School was built in 1856 and was, until 1950, a church controlled school. It then became a Voluntary Aided School but reverted back to a Church of England (Voluntary Controlled) School in 1955, the status that it retains today.

From its beginnings children remained at the school until leaving at the age of 14. In 1949 children aged 11 began to transfer to secondary school in Berkhamsted. In 1970 the three-tier system of education came into operation in the Berkhamsted area. Potten End School became a first school and children transferred to middle school at 9 years of age. From September 2014, Potten End School become a primary school once more with children from 4 to 11 years.

WalkwayA new school building was built in 1960, with a second phase added in 1968. A further classroom was added in 1995. Following this, a pre-school was built on a corner of the school site, which originally also accommodated the school’s Nursery Class. In 2001 with the support of the local community, funds were raised to build a walkway alongside three of the classrooms which enabled the children to move around school without passing through other classrooms. In 2006 the school was converted from oil fired central heating to gas. The removal of the oil storage tank allowed the area to be converted into a small teaching area. In 2008 a sixth classroom was added to the site in the form of a temporary “portacabin” building. This enabled the Nursery Class in be incorporated into the main school. Building work on the new classrooms required for the expansion commenced during the spring and summer of 2014. To facilitate the expansion, the portacabin was demolished and three eco-friendly classrooms were built with photo-voltaic panels enabling the building to be powered by renewable energy.

In the centre of the school there is a large, well-equipped hall. This doubles as the dining room and the school kitchen is adjacent. We have a well-stocked library and kiln room. Outside there is a large hard-surfaced playground with climbing frames, an attractive courtyard and well equipped outdoor area for Foundation Stage.

 

  • Mapac

    Mapac
  • Diocese of St Albans

    Diocese of St Albans
  • Wisepay

    Wisepay
  • Activemark 2008

    Activemark 2008
  • School Games Bronze

    School Games Bronze
  • Healthy Schools Hertfordshire

    Healthy Schools Hertfordshire
  • Walk to School – Living Streets

    Walk to School – Living Streets